Breast augmentation is a cosmetic procedure that has gained widespread popularity and continues to be a topic of fascination and intrigue. However, amidst the growing interest, numerous myths and misconceptions have emerged, clouding the understanding of this transformative plastic surgery. From the belief that breast implants are solely for increasing size to the misconception that breast augmentation is limited to young women. We will aim to debunk these misconceptions and shed light on the realities of breast augmentation.
Myth: Breast Implants Create Health Risks
- Reality: When considering breast augmentation, one of the first things to know is that breast implants have received approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a safe medical device. The rigorous safety tests conducted by the FDA provide reassurance that implants are deemed safe for use
Myth: Implants Need To Be Replaced Often
- Reality: Implants do not need to be replaced unless a problem occurs, such as a rupture, leakage, or capsular contraction or it has been more than 10-15 years. This doesn’t mean you can’t replace your implants if you want to change the size or shape. However, it is crucial to prioritize regular reviews that encompass breast exams, mammograms, or MRIs. These routine evaluations help detect and address any potential health concerns associated with the implants or breasts.
Myth: Saline Implants Are Safer Than Silicone Gel Implants
- Reality: The decision between saline and silicone implants for breast augmentation ultimately comes down to personal choice. It’s essential to understand that neither material is inherently “better” or “worse” than the other. Many women express that silicone implants offer a closer resemblance to natural breast tissue in terms of texture. Conversely, saline implants are firmer and may exhibit more noticeable rippling compared to silicone implants
Myth: Breast Augmentation Is Mostly For Younger Women
- Reality: Women across all age groups, especially those who have undergone one or more pregnancies, may choose breast augmentation to rejuvenate their breast shape and embrace a more youthful profile. It’s important to recognize that there are no age limits when it comes to feeling confident, sexy, and embracing femininity.
Myth: Any Cosmetic Surgeon Can Perform Breast Augmentation Surgery
- Reality: When selecting a plastic surgeon for breast procedures, it is crucial to prioritize board-certification. Board-certified surgeons have completed comprehensive training in both cosmetic and reconstructive surgeries of the breast. Their specialized expertise equips them to handle breast asymmetry, defects, and potential complications that may arise during surgery. Opting for a board-certified plastic surgeon ensures a higher level of training and experience compared to surgeons without specific breast procedure expertise. At Illume, we have board-certified surgeons who will be doing the procedures.
Myth: You Can’t Breastfeed With Implants
- Reality: A significant number of women in their 20s and 30s opt for breast augmentation, often expressing concerns about the potential impact on their ability to breastfeed in the future. Breast augmentation surgery generally does not have a significant impact on the milk ducts or the areas of the breasts responsible for milk production. The commonly chosen incision locations and implant placement techniques prioritize preserving the integrity of the ducts, ensuring they remain connected to the nipples. Moreover, modern breast implant materials adhere to rigorous safety standards and are designed not to leak into breast milk.
Myth: Breast Implants Look Fake
- Reality: Thanks to advanced techniques, it has become increasingly challenging to distinguish between natural breasts and enhanced breasts. Every patient’s body is unique, and any enhancement procedure is customized to meet their specific needs and goals. With meticulous consideration of breast implant factors such as profile, placement, and proportions, attaining a realistic appearance through breast augmentation has become the standard rather than the exception. Advancements in breast implant surgery enable top-notch surgeons to deliver subtle enhancements that enhance and highlight women’s natural beauty.
It is crucial to debunk the myths and misconceptions surrounding breast augmentation. By understanding the facts and dispelling the falsehoods, individuals considering this procedure can make informed decisions. There are risks involved with any surgery. Those risks will be covered in a personal consultation with one of our board-certified plastic surgeons. With accurate information and guidance, individuals can approach breast augmentation with confidence, knowing that they have the opportunity to enhance their appearance and regain self-assurance while prioritizing their safety and well-being.