Whether you’re staying home, or planning to head to the beach or the slopes this spring break, you should plan ahead to protect your skin from the sun’s damaging UVA and UVB rays. Traveling and increased time outdoors can strip your skin’s moisture and leave you at greater risk for sun damage. Luckily, Illume MedSpa has some simple steps you can take to keep your skin healthy and safe from sun damage at any spring break destination.
Spring Break Sun Protection Tip #1 – Sunscreen is Essential in Warm & Cold Weather Destinations
Sun damage is the leading cause of skin health issues like uneven skin tone, wrinkles, age spots, and skin cancer. For this reason, using a pharmaceutical grade sunscreen appropriately every day is an essential part of any skincare routine. To help keep your skin safe from sun damage this spring break, try these Illume Skincare RX Sunscreens:
What Type of Sunscreen Should I Use?
Everyone should be using sunscreens that are broad-spectrum, meaning they protect from both UVA and UVB rays. We recommend our Invisible Protection Spray SPF 50 which is gentle on sensitive and acne-prone skin, providing lasting protection against UVA and UCB rays, and is water resistant.
How Much Sunscreen Should I Apply?
You should apply a complete coat of sunscreen to all exposed areas about 15 minutes prior to going outdoors, paying the most attention to your face. Our Sheer Mineral Protection SPF 50 is gentle on sensitive and acne-prone skin and our Oil Free Tinted Moisturizing Sunscreen SPF 50 can be worn with or without makeup for healthy looking skin.
How Often Should I Reapply?
You need to reapply sunscreen at least every two hours. If you’re going to be in water or sweating heavily, you should reapply every 40 minutes at least.
Spring Break Sun Protection Tip #2 – Plan for Skin Care During Travel
When you’re on vacation, it can be easy to put skincare on the back burner. You’re on vacation; you want to relax – not worry about your skin. To care for your skin and avoid sun damage during spring break, keep the following tips in mind:
- Use a gentle cleanser like our Illume Skincare RX Soothing Green Tea Cleanser and apply our Illume Skincare RX Ultra Sheer Hydration moisturizer to help avoid drying out when you’re in the sun, wind, airplanes, and other moisture-stripping environments.
- You’re in relaxation mode already, so why not schedule a moisturizing facial before your trip? Our Illuminating Hydrafacial MD is the perfect start to relaxation, while nourishing your skin.
- Get plenty of sleep. Bring our nourishing Overnight Renewal Cream with you to use in the evening while you’re relaxing. Firm & Brighten Peptide Eye Protection will correct the dark circles under your eye from lack of sleep.
Spring Break Sun Protection Tip #3 – Prepare Skin for Your Vacation
While you may plan in advance and have the best intentions to care for your skin on vacation, you can still find yourself struggling to keep your skin looking and feeling great. In addition to taking care of your skin when you’re on vacation, you can also take some steps before you leave to prepare your skin, including:
- Applying a deep moisturizing mask the night before you leave for vacation can keep your skin healthier until you reach your vacation destination. We recommend our Radiance Renewal Creme which moisturizing formula helps replenish and support the skin barrier.
- Travel “barefaced.” Makeup can strip moisture from the skin, and the textures of some makeup products can trap germs on the surface of the skin during travel. Our C + E Brightening Serum helps support healthy collagen production while a bio-compatible antioxidant system helps guard against free radical damage.
- If you’re headed to a location with a very different climate, be prepared to address skin concerns that may arise. For example, cold climates are typically dryer, meaning you’ll want to stay moisturized. Whereas, warm-weather destinations typically tend to be humid, increasing your risk for clogged pores and breakouts. To prevent acne, consider washing your face daily with our Benzoyl Peroxide 5% Acne Cleanser.
Visit our Illume Skincare RX Online Store
Browse and shop all our custom made products.
Illume Essential Skincare RX Travel Products
Complexion Renewal Polish
Refines skin gently and effectively. It works in harmony with skin to accelerate its natural renewal process. This rich, creamy formula mildly cleanses the skin without stripping it of its natural moisture content.
Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum
Pure, nourishing serum quenches dehydrated skin to impart a supple, smooth complexion and instant correction
Skin Perfecting Mist
Soothe, calm and rejuvenate skin with a refreshing mist fortified with a rich blend of antioxidants to brighten dull, tired skin and refine your complexion.
Plump + Protect Lip Therapy
Protects skin with broad spectrum UVA/UVB spf 30. It hydrates by using multiple forms of HA to draw and seal in moisture.